We have another Mediterranean vegan recipe that you can’t resist: handmade olive bread with sun-dried tomato!
An easy recipe that does not require much effort! The only thing you need is a bit of time for the dough to rise. Expect getting 3-4 medium-sized loaves (so that they are well baked). If you have more than you can eat, you can put them in the freezer and take them out whenever you need them.
The sundried tomato is optional but we added it for extra flavor and variety. The amount of olives and tomatoes is totally up to you and you can adjust it to your personal taste. We put 130g of black olives because we love them!
1. The dough after adding the olives and the sun-dried tomato will normally become more moist and oily due to the tomato’s liquids. Don’t worry because this will make the bread fluffier!
2. If you skip the sun-dried tomatoes and the dough is a bit dry: shape them into 3-4 loaves (as we said in the recipe), sprinkle them with a little olive oil and let them rise normally for 40 minutes.
Don’t forget to send us your delicious creations on social media. Tag us @greekappetite, so that we can see them!
Find more recipes in our digital cookbook “Eat Like A Greek Vegan”!
Easy Homemade Olive Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 250 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 60 ml olive oil
- 600 g all-purpose flour you might need a bit more so that it does not stick to your hands
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 120 g pitted black or green olives
- 4-5 pieces of sun-dried tomatoes optional
- In a bowl, mix the yeast with the lukewarm water and the sugar and let them activate for 15 minutes, covered with a towel, at room temperature.
- Add the olive oil, flour, salt, pepper and oregano, mixing well. Add as much flour as needed so that it does not stick to your fingers. The dough should be pliable and soft.Cover with a towel and let it rise at room temperature for at least 1 hour.
- Knead and add the olives and the sun-dried tomatoes. Shape the dough into 3 or 4 loaves, give them the size you want and place them on a baking tray with parchment paper to rise for another 40 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C (fan) for 40 minutes (the baking time depends on the oven).