For those who believe that vegans do not eat delicious food or that they have lost their favorite flavors forever, we have good news!
We made vegan carbonara (again) which is one of our favorite foods.
We sautéed onion, smoked tofu and mushrooms and replaced the crème fraiche (which is not the authentic recipe, but this will be another topic) with cashew sauce to have a delicious and healthier vegan version.
Variation: Pelagia prefers to cook the spaghetti for half of the time indicated and to continue cooking them in the pan. In this case, add the spaghetti to the pan towards the end, when almost all the other ingredients are done!
Instead of parmesan, you could use vegan parmesan, nutritional yeast, or even, a mix of blended almonds, cashews, etc. with or without nutritional yeast!
The taste is amazing and the recipe is so easy! It is impressive that with a few ingredients and in a short time you can have a wonderful creamy sauce and a delicious dish!
Prepare it and tell us how you liked it in the comments below and on social media by tagging us @greekappetite with your creations!
Find more recipes in our digital cookbook “Eat Like A Greek Vegan”!
Vegan carbonara with smoked tofu and creamy sauce
- 250 gr spaghetti
- 200 gr smoked tofu
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 70 gr button mushrooms sliced
- 50 ml olive oil
- 20-30 ml pasta cooking water
- cashew sauce
For the cashew sauce
- 220 g cashews unsalted and raw
- 250 ml of water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast optional
For the cashew sauce
- Soak the cashews for 2-4 hours.
- Grind them in the blender together with all the other ingredients to have a creamy sauce.
For the carbonara
- Add the spaghetti in boiled water and cook for the time indicated on the package. When ready, keep 20-30 ml of this pasta cooking water to use it later.
- Heat 50ml olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion and mushrooms over high heat for 5-6 minutes. Then, add the tofu you have cut into small pieces or cubes and cook over medium heat for about 7-9 minutes.
- Add 20-30ml of pasta cooking water, cashew sauce, salt, pepper and mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour this mixture into the spaghetti and serve with basil and nutritional yeast (if desired).