If you want to eat something sweet (that won’t make you feel regret), and that you can prepare it in just a few minutes, make this dessert and then, thank us!
It reminded us of Greek profiteroles, because it has almost the same chocolate sauce, which you can make a little more bitter by adding 10-15g more cacao. The almond bites replace the cream puffs in their healthier and gluten-free version.
Regarding the cacao, we chose raw one that has no sugar. If you’re not sure about yours, check the ingredients if you want to pay attention to how sweet the end result will be.
Regarding the coconut sugar, although it is not a local Greek or Belgian product, it is a healthier choice compared to the white sugar, and you can add a little more to adjust it to your personal taste.
If you want to know the story behind this dessert, it was invented when a girl asked us to make recipes with almond flour, which we couldn’t (finally) find in our local organic shop (!), so we made something to replace it.
Although we didn’t try it with almond flour, it’s probably the same and you just have to add a bit more liquid sweetener or tahini to be able to shape it into balls.
In general, we know that you don’t have much time and energy to cook for hours. That’s why we create quick, easy, and healthy options with minimal ingredients that you probably already have at home. 😉
Try it and send us your delicious creations on social media. Tag us @greekappetite, so that we can see them!
Find more recipes in our digital cookbook “Eat Like A Greek Vegan”!
Low-Sugar Quick Dessert – Profiterole Style
- 150 g raw almond bites (see recipe in our blog)
- chocolate sauce (see below)
- vegan whipped cream optional (see recipe in our blog)
- blueberries optional
For the chocolate sauce
- 300 g plant-based milk we used soy milk
- 70 g cocoa powder
- 40 g coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds optional
- Make the almond bites (see recipe here) and use half the dose or less for this dessert.
- Spread them on a glass dish, a medium bowl or in individual glasses (if you want to serve your dessert from there).
- If you feel tired or bored to form almond bites, just use the almond mixture as a layer where you’ll add the chocolate sauce. Do whatever is easier for you!
- Make the chocolate sauce by adding the vegan milk, cacao and sugar in a saucepan or pan over medium heat and mixing them. Pay attention to the temperature, so it doesn’t burn.
- Once it starts to thicken, it's ready. Turn off the heat, add the chia seeds (optional) and set aside.
- When it cools, add it on top of the almond layer or bites and cover them.
- Add whipped cream and/or blueberries or other fruit of your choice, plus crushed almonds or hazelnuts (optional).Put it in the fridge to cool and it's ready!